Child Welfare Topics
Children’s Bureau Information Gateway
- Child Welfare Librarian
- Adoption Assistance
- Compassion Fatigue
- Decision Making and Matching
- Family Group Decision Making
- Family Preparation and Assessment
- Foster Parents
- Kinship Adoption
- LGBTQ Issues: T&TA Network Resources on LGBTQ Issues
- Older Child Adoption
- Open Adoption
- Post Adoption Assistance
- Preparing Children and Youth for Adoption or Other Family Permanency
- Sibling Adoption
- State Child Welfare Law and Policy
Adoption Competence: A Guide to Developing an Adoption Certificate Program for Mental Health Practitioners
- Adoption Competence: A Guide to Developing an Adoption
Certificate Program for Mental Health Practitioners Toolkit
- Child Maltreatment 2012 - This report presents national data about child abuse and neglect known to child protective services agencies in the United States during federal fiscal year 2012.
Child/Youth & Family Assessment & Preparation
Decision Making & Placement Selection
Disclosure Background Information to Adoptive Parents
- Title IV-B and the New Focus on Young Children
- Title IV-E Plan Pre-print_4-17-13
- Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA)
Foster Care Adoption
- National Foster Care Adoption Attitudes Survey – 2013 Executive summary & Detailed Findings
- Studies Track Attitudes About Foster Care Adoption
- Training and Technical Assistance Coordination Center has developed a series of eight fact sheets to assist States and Tribes as they implement the Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008.
- Perspectives on the Fostering Connections: A Series of White Papers on Fostering Connections to Success and Increasing Adoptions Act of 2008.
- Making It Work: Using the Guardianship Assistance Program (GAP) to Close the Permanency Gap for Children in Foster Care
Implement and Evaluate Child Welfare Interventions
- A Framework to Design, Test, Spread, and Sustain Effective Practice in Child Welfare
- The PII Approach: Building Implementation and Evaluation Capacity in Child Welfare
- Evolution of Kin Policy and Practice
- How State Policies Affect Kinship Caregivers
- Journal of Family Issues
- Kinship Summit Report 2011
- Know Your Permanency Options: The Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program (KinGAP)
New York State Office of Children & Family Services
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender
- LGBT Prospective Foster and Adoptive Families: The Homestudy Assessment Process (2012)
- Recommended Practices for LGBT – CWLA
- Strategies For Recruiting Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Foster, Adoptive, and Kinship Families
- Guide for Developing and Implementing Child Welfare Practice Models
- CAPTA 2011 Reports: A five-year strategic plan that sets forth the vision and the goals to be accomplished to strengthen the States’ overall child welfare system.
Openness in Adoptions from the Foster Care System
- Facilitating an Adult Adoption as a Pathway to Permanence for Older Youth – Adult adoption is the legal process of adopting a person over the age of 18, which results in a legally recognized parent-child relationship. This NRCPFC publication highlights provides an overview of the steps to facilitating an adult adoption and discusses common reasons for considering this option. Additional resources are provided, along with a listing of State-specific statutes, information, and resources. (April 2013)
- Forever Families: Improving Outcomes by Achieving Permanency for Legal Orphans – This National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges’ Technical Assistance Bulletin offers judicial practice recommendations to achieve permanency and improve outcomes for legal orphans.
- Moving Forward: Guidelines for the Alternative Care of Children is a tool for informing and inspiring practitioners, organizations, and governments across the globe who are seeking to provide the best possible rights-based care for children who are, or who may be, in need of alternative care.
Permanency Support and Preservation Services
- Assessing the Field of Post-Adoption Services: Family Needs, Program Models, and Evaluation Issues Summary Report (2002)
- PowerPoint Presentation on Post Adoption Services as Family Preservation – NRC for In-Home Services
- Strengthening and Preserving Adoptive Families: A Study ofTANF-Funded Post Adoption Services in New York State
- Webcast Presentation on Post Adoption Services as Family Preservation
Meet the Kids. Change a Life produced by Pennsylvania Statewide Adoption & Permanency Network (SWAN) Respite – This video is on recruitment for legal permanency for older youth.
- Perspectives on ICWA from adoptees, native leaders, judges, social workers, child advocates and more.
- National Child Welfare Resource Center for Tribes’ Findings – National Needs Assessment of American Indian Alaska Native Child Welfare Programs
- Tribal Programs and Resources
Youth Advice on Staying Connected – A new video series for youth features at-risk teens sharing their stories and offering advice about successfully transitioning to independent living and staying connected to the people and programs that helped them. The series, “Keep in Touch: Young People Offer Advice on Staying Connected and Living Independently,” was produced by the National Clearinghouse on Families and Youth, a free information service of the Family and Youth Services Bureau.